The 4W-YALI Circle emerged from the vision and leadership of Kalkidan Lakew, a 2018 UW-Madison Mandela Washington Fellow who returned in summer 2019 to help launch this network. This group consists of over 40 young scholars from across Africa, many of whom engaged with 4W during their Mandela Washington Fellowship at UW-Madison (2016 to current). The goal of this group is to foster gender equity and wellbeing and to provide peer support and leadership development. We engage regularly through online discussion via our 4W-YALI Facebook Group, as well as monthly webinars in which YALI fellows and 4W leaders rotate in sharing their work. PDFs, PowerPoints, and recordings from each webinar will be made available to the public soon.
Spring 2021 4W-YALI Circle Webinar Series
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending one of these webinars!
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
- Maxwell Tii Kumbeni, 2018 Mandela Washington Fellow. Friday, January 22nd, 9am CST.
- Precious Amabel Lebby, Managing Director for PalsAfrika Online Television. Friday, February 26th, 9am CST.
- Marie-Josee Houenou, 2018 Mandela Washington Fellow; Sumudu Atapattu, Director of Research Centers and Senior Lecturer at UW Law School; Claudia I. Calderón, 4W Director of Gender and Agroecology; Lori DiPrete Brown, 4W Director. Presentation of their article, “From a Three-Legged Stool to a Three-Dimensional World: Integrating Rights, Gender and Indigenous Knowledge into Sustainability Practice and Law.” Friday, March 26th, 9am CST.
- 4W-YALI Network attends the Women & Wellbeing Keynote of the virtual 4W & WGSC Conference, “Resistance and Reimagination: Gender, Change, and The Arts.” Keynote presentation by Hilda Twongyeirwe and Gorretti Kyomuhendo of FEMRITE, the Uganda Women Writers Association. Friday, April 9th, 10am CST.
- Discussion of 4W & WSGC Conference and FEMRITE Keynote. Friday, April 23rd, 9am CST.