Engaging with 4W prepares UW-Madison students to lead efforts related to gender and wellbeing in the sciences, arts and humanities, government, the private sector, and civil society. Students build critical skills through participation in coursework and internships organized by the UW Directorate and Leadership, as well as action research projects.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Members of the 4W Leadership Circle have offered courses ranging from highly subscribed lectures to intimate seminars on subjects related to 4W concerns and values. Since 4W’s inception, over 2,000 students have taken courses offered by leaders on issues including education and global change, finance and the family, design and microenterprise, gender and human rights, public health, women’s psychology, intersectional approaches to literature, and more.
Internships and Field Courses
Watch this video made by UW-Madison student Nia Cayenne during her field course experience in Spain and Morocco during summer 2019. Under the leadership of Dr. Araceli Alonso, students learning innovative techniques used for identifying survivors of trafficking and helping with rehabilitation.
Around the world, over 100 students have completed field programs and internships that provide on the ground experience in the USA, Ecuador, Mexico, Kenya, Nepal, India, Ghana, Spain, and Morocco. 4W is committed to learning by doing in the form of internships, action research, and immersion study. Through partnership with the Women’s Philanthropy Council and generous private gifts, 4W aims to financially support a minimum of 15 students per year in engaged learning related to our 4W priorities and activities.
Support for Emerging Scholars
The 4W EmpowerHour network is composed of more than 35 emerging scholars and early career professionals in fields ranging from public health to sociology to agriculture, unified by a common interest in applied and action research around gender and wellbeing in Wisconsin and around the world. The group meets throughout the semester, sometimes as part of a formal program, and sometimes as a space to have a snack, talk about a selected theme, share resources, and offer each other professional and moral support.
We are a proud convener of student leaders and organizations working on gender equity, wellbeing, and social change. If you are interested in becoming part of our undergraduate network, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• American Association of University Women • Sex Out Loud
• American Medical Women’s Association • She’s the First UW-Madison
• Amnesty International • Society of Women Engineers
• Association for Women in Communications • Women in Business
• Association of Computing Machinery-Women • Wisconsin Without Borders
• Association of Women in Agriculture • Women in Economics
•Badger Public Health Connect • Her Campus
•Beyond Symptoms • Lean In at UW-Madison
• Campus Women’s Center • Rape Crisis Center
• Gender and Women’s Studies Club • The Muslim Students Association
• The Gender and Sexuality Campus Center • Panhellenic Association(PHA)
• National Organization of Women (NOW UW) • Phi Upsilon Omicron
• Promoting Awareness of Sexual Violence (Pave)
• Leading Women of Tomorrow @ UW • The Women’s Network Wisco
• Body Advocacy Movement • Mind. Body. Badger.
• Active Minds UW-Madison • Advancing Diversity and Excellence in Physical Therapy
• Advocate’s Society • Advocates for Diverse Abilities
• Advocates for Immigrants’ Rights • ASK. LISTEN. SAVE.
• Bell Magazine • CHAARG at University of Wisconsin-Madison
• Dissonant Magazine • DREAMers of UW-Madison
• Girls Who Code UW-Madison • Girl Up, UW-Madison
• Graduate Women in Science • Mindfulness and Meditation Club
• Graduate Women in Business • Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences
• Multicultural Greek Council • Multicultural Student Nurse Organization
• Multiracial Student Union • National Pan-Hellenic Council
• Peace Corps Campus Advocates • Period. at UW-Madison
• Pitches and Notes -Women’s A Cappella • Student Alliance for Reproductive Justice
• UNICEF UW-Madison • Unmasked at UW-Madison
• Wisconsin Women Pre-Med Association • Women and Gender Minorities in Physics
• Women in Business Technology • Women in Finance and Accounting
• Women in Law and Politics • Women in Medicine
• Women in Nature Network • Women in Scientific Education and Research